Sunday, November 1, 2009

On Captains, Crew, And Flying Ships...


METAPHOR: something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol

I believe metaphors are important. They aid in the definition of the self as we move through this oh so brief life. I use them often in my musings, for these symbols help to illustrate the abstract concepts of the 'Verse that I often tackle.

One of the most prevalent metaphors in my life as of late would be the adoption of the whole captain, crew, and ship motif with regards to my own existence and the people that surround me.

My SHIP represents my life as a whole. I'd never been a fan of sailing ships on the open sea. I found boats and the seemingly endless ocean rather boring. Instead I turned to the vastness of space and all the secrets that it holds. Admittedly, I am a child of the space opera. "Star Trek", "Star Wars", "Firefly". I'll take a Millennium Falcon over a Pequod anyday. I see my life (and my soul) as a space boat as it travels through the wide open 'Verse. Oceans alone cannot contain my adventurous spirit. I need to stand on the edge of everything and touch the hand of God. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

As a CAPTAIN, I am in charge of my ship's direction. I fly my ship. I lead my own life, and am entirely responsible for it's course heading. While all of us have a ship, very few of us are seated at the controls. Many of us don't even realize there is a cockpit! They hide out in the cargo hold as their ship moves through life on autopilot, simply existing. They lack the knowledge (and often the courage) that it takes to fly their own boat. As a result, their ship often crashes, and they sift through the wreckage wondering why they cannot change their own self repeating patterns.

Another duty as captain is tending to the needs of my CREW. These are the people that you hold dear in this life. Family, lovers, friends, coworkers. A good crew help keeps your ship in the air. That and a lot of love. To quote a certain Captain Reynolds:

"Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her home."

It's a life long journey to efficently manage your crew. As a captain, you are responsible for their safety and well being in this 'Verse. This begins with you. Before you can tend to anyone else, you must first tend to your own soul. There are more than a few pilots out there, but very few captains. It's an often thankless job, and it comes with just as much sacrifice as it does joy. You become 'that guy'. The one everyone looks to when the monsters arrive at the gate, and sometimes it takes more than just having a good blaster at your side to get you through the day.

This space opera metaphor is a strong guiding force in my life. It keeps me on the path, keeps me moving forward, flying straight and true. What metaphors do you use to define your time in this life? Are you a captain? A pilot? A passenger?

It's your ship. Where do you want to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment