As you may have noticed, I live by a personal creed:
Dare to Dream. Fight to Feel. Live to Die.
I believe personal creeds are important in the definition of the self. They keep us from straying too far off the path, set goals for us to reach, and ground us when our ship seems to spin too far out into the 'Verse.
A personal creed should be just that. Personal. I have no problem adapting my life to the guidelines set by others, be it the Ten Commandments (Thou shalt not have ANY fun in this life) or the wisdom of Yoda (There is no try), but in doing so our soul still remains one step removed from it. If we stumble in the execution of the creed of another, we can simply shrug and say those words weren't really meant for us, thus avoiding taking any personal responsibility.
A personal creed, on the other hand, is created by us and defined by all that we are, and all we wish to be. If we fall, we have no one to blame but ourselves. A personal creed binds us to our actions in this life. It forces us to hold ourselves accountable, and that makes it much harder to walk away from the words we have set before our own souls.
With this in mind, I'm going to decoded my own personal creed as an example of how one can create a written self defining statement in this life, then strive each and every day to live up to those words. Onward...
DARE TO DREAM
It's one thing to have dreams. We all share hopes and goals in this life, things we'd like to accomplish within the limited time frame of human existence. However, without the courage and passion needed to pursue those dreams, they will always remain forever out of reach, like a taunting brass ring on the carousel of the 'Verse.
I spent many years keeping my dreams out of reach. I found every excuse in the world not to embrace my passion, to follow the nature of my own soul. Upon that path I found no happiness, no comfort in this world. In the end the dreams would still there, bright and bold as ever, but the time in which to actualize those dreams was now shortened. Time I will never get back in this life. I knew I would finally have to take a stand.
"Dare to Dream" defines my courage and passion to pursue my goals without limits or doubts. I DARE to dream in widescreen, to realize my vision of myself as an artist (screenwriter and filmmaker), swordsman, and adventurist. I then set about on the paths that will allow me to fulfill those dreams without hesitation and without standing still. Life relentlessly moves forward, and one cannot reamin a rock in a fast moving stream.
Dreams die only if we are afraid to make them come true.
As a certain homeless man once said in 1990's "Pretty Woman": "Some dreams come true, some don't; but keep on dreamin'."
He was referring to life in Hollywood, but I think the message is universal. Dreams may change, but as long as there is courage and passion behind your dreams, you stand an excellent chance of realizing them in this life.
Saturday, November 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment